The Community Lawyering Initiative
Maryland Legal Aid's Community Lawyering Initiative places highly-skilled lawyers directly in under-served neighborhoods to provide free, life-changing legal assistance. The concept for the Initiative began in 2015 when Maryland Legal Aid launched its weekly Lawyer in the Library program at the Enoch Pratt Free Library Pennsylvania Avenue branch. As awareness of the program increased and the need for civil legal services and criminal record Removing convictions from criminal records. became more and more apparent, Maryland Legal Aid answered the demand for services by designating staff and recruiting pro bono attorneys and law students to help serve clients through the Initiative.
The Community Lawyering Initiative includes a number of weekly and monthly Removing convictions from criminal records. clinics coordinated and hosted in partnership with community organizations from around the state, as well as expansion of the Lawyer in the Library program to other library locations in Baltimore City, Baltimore and Montgomery counties.
Community Lawyering Initiative Flyer [PDF]
Maryland Legal Aid’s Community Lawyering Initiative in the news:
- Md. Legal Aid expanding Lawyer in the Library program to Prince George's Co. [PDF]
- Md. Legal Aid to expand Lawyer in the Library program with Abell Foundation Grant [PDF]
- Lawyer in the Library coming to North Point branch--The Dundalk Eagle [PDF]
- Maryland Legal Aid advocacy director Amy Petkovsek discusses Lawyer in the Library program--Carroll County Times [PDF]
- Working out of the library, Maryland Legal Aid helps people grapple with issues only a lawyer can fix--The Baltimore Sun [PDF]
- A Fresh Approach to Community Lawyering [PDF]
- Lawyers and Libraries: A Natural Fit [PDF]
- Making Access to Justice a Reality for All [PDF]
- WYPR - Lawyers in the Library
For more information about Maryland Legal Aid's Community Lawyering Initiative, including information about how to volunteer or become an event partner, call 443-451-2805.
Upcoming Legal Clinics
Click here for a list of upcoming legal clinics.
- Maryland Legal Aid’s Pro Bono Program: Change your life and the lives of others
- Power Station Podcast with Amy Petkovsek and Dimitri Degbeu (Release Date: 03/11/2019)
- Power Station Podcast with Amy Petkovsek and Meaghan McDermott (Release Date: 07/09/2018)