The team at Maryland Legal Aid's Upper Eastern Shore office may be small, but they are effective and dedicated to serving their clients. On a daily basis, you'll hear Office Manager, and sometime office social director, Cheryl Barkley-Chiccone on the phone gathering information for a client's case.
"The staff of the Upper Eastern Shore office is smart, hard-working and dedicated to providing our clients with an understanding of their rights and a way to assert them," says Chief Attorney Bill Leahy. "Cheryl, Lou and Rachel also have assisted Maryland Legal Aid by serving as chairs or co-chairs of the Helping Hands Fund and Housing and Workers' Rights Task Forces. In a small office it is essential that people get along with and respect each other. Not only does that happen here, but we really like each other and function well as a team."
William "Bill" R. Leahy, Chief Attorney
- Chief Attorney
- Joined Maryland Legal Aid in March 1987; left in November 1994; then returned again in April 2000
- Member of the Public Benefits, Elder Law, and Consumer Task Forces
- Specializes in Social Security Disability cases
- Loves history and studies it as much as he can; plays acoustic guitar
Louis W. Dorsey, Jr., Paralegal
- With Maryland Legal Aid since November 1998
- Senior Paralegal-Human Rights Project, Co-Chairs Workers' Rights Task Force, Administrator of Helping Hands Fund
- Loves Hot Rods/Drag Racing, Golf, and Horses ("sometimes I think I should have been a cowboy")
Rachel Wolpert, Staff Attorney
- Joined Maryland Legal Aid in March 2008
- Co-Chairs Housing Task Force; member of the Human Rights Work Group, Housing Human Rights Project, and the Talbot County Bar Association
- Huge fan of playing, coaching, and watching soccer, the color orange, and University of Kentucky basketball..."Go 'Cats!"
Cheryl Barkley-Chiccone, Office Manager
- With Maryland Legal Aid since February 1997
- Speaks Spanish;Loves to cook and entertain; and is a fan of spicy cuisine.Lived in Guatemala for 3 years and Colombia, South America for 6 months, and is writing a book about those adventures!